Travel Bursaries for International Conferences
In order to encourage UK postgraduate students to present work at international conferences, the BMVA issues bursaries to help cover the travel and conference costs. A number of such bursaries, of up to £750 each, are issued annually. In return, the recipient is expected to write a report on the conference for inclusion in the newsletter, or equivalent work for the BMVA website as agreed with the bursaries officer.
To be eligible, you must be:
- a student at a UK university;
- a BMVA member;
- presenting work at a major conference within the BMVA's remit.
To apply for such a Student Bursary, write to the bursaries officer, Adrian Clark (firstname.lastname@example.org) enclosing:
- A copy of the paper you are to present and acceptance status, whether poster or oral;
- A breakdown of anticipated costs and details of your request (up to £750);
- Confirmation from your supervisor of your student status (e-mail from the supervisor will be sufficient).
Applications for a given conference must be submitted within four weeks after the announcement of paper acceptance, at which time all submitted proposals will be reviewed. Preference will be given to papers where the student is first author and to oral presentations. The committee reserves the right to restrict the total number of bursaries awarded for any one conference.
Successful applicants will be sent the agreed funds upon receipt by the secretary of:
- proof that the conference was attended;
- original receipts;
- a review for BMVA News (or alternative contribution, to be decided in discussion with the bursaries officer);
- a completed claim form (download from http://www.bmva.org/forms/expenses-claim.pdf). Fill out the form (leaving the “BMVA Committee Member” blank)
Special provision for student bursaries for BMVC (usually covering the cost of the conference itself) are arranged each year by the BMVC organisers. For details, contact the conference organiser or look at the BMVC web page.