Membership of the BMVA is available in two forms:
- individual membership
- corporate membership, which brings cost savings and other advantages when there are many people with vision-related interests working in an organisation
Membership of the BMVA is not restricted to people living or working in the UK. Potential overseas applicants may be interested to learn that most technical meetings are in London, Manchester, or Birmingham, all of which have international airports.
The BMVA is affiliated to the International Association for Pattern Recognition, as are most other national machine vision organisations around the world.
You can join online here or by attending a technical meeting as a non-member.
You can also join with a paper application form from
BMVA Membership Secretary,
University Of Surrey,
Tel 01483 689851, Fax 01483 686031
Renewal of your membership happens yearly and can be paid for either by sending a cheque to the membership secretary (above) or by using the paypal form on the renewals page.
The BMVA has a Corporate Membership Scheme to allow industry better access to research being conducted by the UK vision community. The scheme works as follows:
- Any employee wishing to participate in BMVA events must be in posession of a Corporate Membership card and be able to prove that they are employed by the Corporate Member.
- Up to five employees of a Corporate Member can be named as BMVA voters. (No proxy votes are allowed.)
- Ten membership cards will be issued each year.
- Each organisation will appoint a BMVA corporate administrator who will be responsible for:
- Providing the BMVA with a list of the voting affiliates
- Distributing copies of BMVA News within his organisation
- Arranging payment of the annual Corporate Membership fee
- Monitoring the distribution of Corporate Membership cards within his or her organisation
- The cost of Corporate Membership per annum is 10 times the personal membership fee (this is currently 10 x £20 = £200 per annum).
- The definition of an “organisation” in this scheme is:
- it must have fewer than 1000 employees;
- it must be situated on one geographical site;
- if it is part of a large corporation, it must be an independent business unit.
The benefits for an organisation taking out BMVA Corporate Membership are:
- Up to 10 employees may attend any BMVA meeting or the annual Conference at the personal membership rate
- Voting rights in BMVA elections and at AGMs for up to five named affiliates
- Positive publicity as a supporter of UK vision research – list of Industrial Corporate Members will be published on our Web pages, and new corporate members welcomed in BMVA News.
- Access to BMVA mailshots at cost
- Ten copies of BMVA News
- Opportunity to sponsor BMVA meetings
- Potential to chair one-day meetings
For further information about corporate membership, please contact the BMVA chairman, email@example.com